My Fitness Pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Who's the Lucky One?

Another common thing an adoptive parent hears (especially of international adoption) is "Your son/daughter is so lucky to have you!" It is a comment talked about often in adoption circles. I have pondered this many a nights! Who is the lucky one? Of course I don't believe in "luck" as much as I trust in God's plan! Not a day goes by that I don't look at any of my three kids and thank God for the blessing they are. I feel "lucky" that Toby found us, or that God chose us, as unworthy as we are, to parent such an amazing little boy (or big boy or big girl for that matter!).

We did not "save" Toby from anything. We just happened to be part of God's great plan for Toby's life. As I think back over our adoption journey, it was never looked on like "hey, I'm going to go save me a baby today." Some may say it was selfish motives that moved us to adoption. We wanted a bigger family! But in saying that, I also believe that God placed the desire on my heart for a larger family. I prayed, many times as we were going through the difficult, long road of adoption, that if we were not in God's plan, that he would wipe away the desire I was feeling. Looking at where we are today, I'm so thankful that He didn't choose that path, but rather led us to Toby! I tell people that Toby found us. Looking at those referal pictures, those beautiful almond eyes and that tiny little nose. It melted my heart, and the only way to explain why is that God created Toby to be a part of our family. He was born in my heart, long before he was placed in my arms!

And if any of you know Toby and know our family, you can't doubt that he's a Mills!

God is Good!

No comments: