My Fitness Pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

Flag Display at the Wayne County Schools Career Center!


Today is a very special day. This is a day in which we are to take time to remember and honor our veterans who have served so faithfully for our country. Some served at the price of their own lives. There is never an adequate way to thank those who have made such a sacrifice. Those who have served our country faithfully, deserve our respect, our gratitude and our admiration. Those that served, and were fortunate enough to survive combat, will be changed forever. The pain and the burdens that they will carry for the rest of their lives is something that we, as civilians can not understand or comprehend. Those that serve, and were never in a situation to fight on the front lines for their country deserve our respect, just the same. These people were willing, at a moments notice, to leave their homes, their families, their comforts, to put their lives on the line so that we can continue to enjoy our freedoms. Whether or not they were ever called into combat has no relevance. There sole job, their hearts purpose was to defend our country. And I know they did it, and continue to do it, with honor, in whatever capacity.

Whatever your views on politics, religion or foreign affairs, I pray that we can all respect, honor and care for our veterans!

I would like to honor
My Grandfather – Vince Macrino – Marines
My Father – Ron Tucker – Army
My Father-in-Law – Rudy Moser – Army – Vietnam
My Sister – Treena Whipple – Army
My Brother-In-Law – Tom Ballinger – Army – Iraq

I would like to remember:
My Grandfather – Homer Tucker – Army – WWII
My Great Uncle - Robert Macrino - Army - Vietnam

And if you think this doesn’t tie into my posts on adoption, you are wrong. I want to try and briefly describe, as I understand it, the way in which international adoption began in Korea. Holt International is one of the largest adoption agencies in the country. Harry and Bertha Holt, during the Korean War, saw a need to provide families for the many orphaned children in Korea due to the war. This family, started their efforts by providing funding to help these children. Later, they worked tirelessly to open the doors to international adoption.

As quoted from their website:

"The Holts’ adoption was revolutionary. Their example showed that a family’s love can transcend the barriers of race and nationality. At a time when adoption was regarded as something to be kept secret, they adopted children who were obviously not their birth children. Through their deep Christian faith and fierce determination, they showed the world that adoption is a banner of love, not a badge of shame."

This post has been edited from the initial post. As I reread it, i realized that my point did not come across the way I intended it! We are thankful for our service men and women that fight tirelessly to provide the freedoms we have today, that allow for us to adopt a child. My point was not specific to Korea, or the Korean War. (I am horrified at the way that originally came across! Please forgive me!)

God is Good!

No comments: