My Fitness Pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Toby

Poor guy was sick the past few days. Yesterday, his fever was high, 102.5 and I think even higher at times. It went down each time we gave him Tylenol, but would spike back up 4-6 hours later. Then, this morning he didn't have a temperature and I thought we were good to go. That is, until I was heading out the door for work. Toby started fussing, and then his breakfast returned to the table. It was a long morning of that. I changed outfits twice and had to change Toby three times if that gives you any idea. I'm not sure why 3 year olds can't hit a bucket...

Fortunately, he is feeling much better tonight. He ate dinner like he hadn't eaten in weeks, and has kept it down. He got his bath and is now in bed. I think we've passed through the worst of it.

On another note... I think we had a breakthrough this week with Toby as well. A breakthrough I didn't see coming. I have never questioned our attachment. Things have always gone very well, and I believe that Toby attached very quickly to our family. I have not ever questioned that. But what happened this past weekend was still so very special. The words for mom and dad in Korean are Umma and Appa (various english spellings). We usually use those terms to talk about his foster family in Korea, since that is likely what he called them. Well, we were laying in our bed, Toby, Nate and I and Toby turned to me with this serious look and said "Umma?" He has never really called me that, ever. It just hit me really hard. Like he had put the connection together, and that I wasn't just this lady named "Mommy" that he has called me for nearly 15 months, but that I was really his "Umma". Then he turned to Nate and said "Appa?"

I may be reading too much into it, but for me, it just felt like Toby had made a connection at a level much deeper than he had before. Like he had confirmed to himself that he was home. He has called me Umma several times since then. And it just melts my heart each time!

God is Good!

No comments: