My Fitness Pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Cleaning the Throne for the Kingdom!

Well, tonight was Service Project night for my high school small group. We have been meeting since the beginning of school, and this is my first year with this group of girls. They are mostly Freshman and Sophomores, and several of them are homeschooled, which is a new twist for me. Most of these girls I have known for many years, had them in Sunday morning childcare, or taught them in Vacation Bible School! I love doing small group. I learn so much from these girls, while trying to help guide them through a rough time in life... HIGH SCHOOL! I remember those days so well.. and notice I didn't say fondly!

Anyway, as Nate is sitting on the couch next to me studying for school, and I think forward to what God has in store for us in way of Ministry, I look forward to working with High School girls. This is my 3rd year leading a small group, and I learn so much each year.

I posted a while back about the Fall Party at our church for our Grand Opening of the new Student Center. Nate's band played, and Jeremy Kingsley spoke. His topic was about being last. One of his illustrations was about how nasty public bathrooms can be, and about a time when he went in and cleaned a public bathroom. No one knew he did it, but it was a way he could serve those around him, those that would enter that bathroom after him. It really stuck with me. So when it was time for us to do a service project, this was the first thing that came to mind.

At first, my girls were like... No Way! Then they went on to talk about how they would NOT clean the men's bathroom. But the more we talked about it, I think they got a little excited about the opportunity. So tonight, we met at the church, and then headed out one of the Gas Stations in town.

Our first stop, we went in and asked if we could clean the bathrooms and I think the lady asked about 3 times, "Really?" "You want to do what?". She was so surprised. But we got to work, and also cleaned at another Gas station. The girls worked so hard, and realized it wasn't as bad as they thought it was. Here are some photos.





So, did the girls walk away from this understanding all that they did? I'm not sure, but I am proud of them for stepping out of their comfort zone and doing a task that most think is "below them". And they did it with such great attitudes! I'm so excited to see what God has in store for this group this year!

God is Good!

No comments: