My Fitness Pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Monday, September 1, 2008

Fun at the National Air Show

Our Labor Day weekend was planned in a way that we would be doing... NOTHING! We had so many things to get done around the house, so we thought we would just stick around home and do chores. Well, Saturday and Sunday were pretty much that way, but we had some wonderful, dear friends offer us some free tickets to the Cleveland National Air Show, so we decided to do that today! It was SO MUCH FUN!!

I had never been there before, but it has always been something that after I hear about it on the news, I think... "we need to do that next year". But then 365 days later, I have forgotten about it. So when we were offered these tickets, I jumped on it. Nate was not quite as enthusiastic. He is a home body! But I know he knew it would be some good family time, and that's exactly what it turned out to be.

Call me crazy, but I have a very soft heart for our military men and women. I rarely see a uniformed soldier, whether at Wal-Mart (rarely) or on TV without my heart being filled with gratitude. I'm not exactly sure why I feel so strongly, but my grandfather, and father, and sister, and brother-in-law have all served selflessly, some even in wartime! While I was never an "Army brat", my dad was out of the military before I came along, it is part of who I am. And I am so proud of this amazing country, and we owe that all to those that serve/have served to keep it as great as it is!

So, being up there at the airshow, watching these fighter planes fly with such precision, and the sky divers jump with no fear, nearly brought me to tears. The Blue Angels left me speechless... I know... hard to imagine!

Without further delay, I have lots of photos and videos to share. If you think there are too many, sorry! I can't leave anything out! It was all so wonderful! (And for those of you that may be, or have been in the service... sorry if I get any of these branches/aircraft wrong! I tried)

Nate and the kids inside a US Airforce (I'm pretty sure it was AF) cargo plane
The kids and I enjoying lunch. Nate tried to get a photo of the ShockWave jet truck, but couldn't get close enough. That thing was WILD! Check out the website.
This is the Ohio Air National Guard C-130 Hercules
I'm sure Toby's arms are tired, because this is how they stayed the entire day!
A photo of the kids inside a little plane.
This is the B-17 Yankee Lady aircraft! They did a bomb "demo".
This is a closer look at the same aircraft. Taylor was trying to count all the "guns" - good luck!
This was a very touching performance. It was called the "Heritage Flight" if I'm not mistaken. I believe it was an F16C, F15 and a P-51 Mustang WWII Plane (Yeah, I got those from the website, you don't' think I really knew that do ya?). It was just a neat display of planes from various wars/periods.

This is Sean Tucker (no relation, though I wish he were, maybe he'd take me up with him) doing some aerobatics - very talented!
This is the US Army Golden Nights Precision Parachute performers. They had several perform, then they called it off because of the high winds. These two were "passing" a baton between them while free falling.
Then they opened their parachutes, and landed perfectly.

US Navy C-130 Blue Angels Demonstration. This thing was HUGE, and could MOVE!
The BLUE ANGELS... need I say more...
I could have watched these guys all day!

My heart stopped beating every time they did a maneuver like this one! If these guys have wives, I'm sure they can't watch!

One Final move!

There were so many more, but I couldn't get photos of all of it! Check out the website for more! And plan on heading up next year! It's a great day!

Tonight, as I was praying with Toby while tucking him in, as is the case every night, I prayed first. I thanked God for our family time, and for the beautiful weather we had today, for the service men and women who were away from their families for our entertainment, etc. When I was done, it was Toby's turn. Usually he prays for Watermelon, and daddy and his blankie.. but tonight this was his prayer "Loud planes, Bad Aiwpwanes, loud planes, Bad. Amen" We had earplugs for him, but it was still very loud, especially when the F16's were flying by at 400+ miles an hour!

Then I reminded Toby that he starts school tomorrow! He was very excited. Talk about crying, I'm going to be a mess tomorrow. But I promise to take photos, and share them all with you, whom I love so much!

God is Good!

1 comment:

Life with la familia said...

Great pictures, Carol. We had the chance to go for free with Jeff and Kelly once and we both loved it. I get choked up over military stuff as well. When we were headed to Russia to pick up Ethan we were in the international terminal at Atlanta and I went for a walk to alleviate some boredom. I walked past a gate full of guys in green camo(?) waiting to fly to Frankfurt, Germany and I almost started crying. I was feeling sorry for myself over having to stay in Russia for a month and here were these guys getting ready to head to the hot desert to fight for who knows how long. It was a pretty humbling sight.
Love the pics of Toby's first day at school as well! Ethan saw me looking at them and right away said, "It's Toby!"