My Fitness Pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Blogging

So, I'm guessing if you are reading this, you are a blogger. I don't think many people "stumble" upon a blog. I have no idea who my readers are. I know I have friends that occasionally pop in, other adoptive families that pop in, etc. Who is reading isn't really all that important. I'm not sure if I care if anyone is reading (though it is fun to see the counter going up). I have no time in my life for scrapbooking right now... I JUST DON'T!! Blogging takes me about 10 minutes, and I can do it quickly after the kids are in bed, without any stickers, scissors, glue, paper and mess!! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Scrapbooking, I just can't do it right now. So Blogging gives me a chance to talk about the things I love (adoption and my family) and in a sense, Pre-Scrapbook! When the day comes that I have free time (I know it will happen), I can simply sit down to millsfamily5 and go back and recall all that was going on, all the wonderful outings and excursions we go on, and scrapbook them for the children much easier.

Why am I babbling about this you may ask? Well, I was away this past weekend at Women of Faith. Yes, that is a women's Christian conference. I was in a room after the conference with one of my girlfriends and she had several family/friends with her that I had not met before. They did not know much about me. I think they knew I had an adopted son, but that was about it. So we are eating and chatting about all sorts of things... life, travel, kids, (husbands leaving their wives behind when she steps off the motorcycle and they dont' realize and go racing away!)... when the subject of Blogging and Facebook came up. It became pretty clear that they were not fans of either. I sat quietly, observing these ladies reactions and comments. I was not hurt by what they were saying, but I was shocked that women of faith would be so harsh and judgemental. Their opinion was that people that blog and are on facebook are only on there trying to create an image of their perfect family, in other words FAKE. And if they were being honest about their lives (some people blog about EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING) that it was just inappropriate. "Who cares about them doing laundry" they said. So there's a double standard :) Don't be fake, but don't be honest.

I am not sure what the real issue was with these ladies. Why they felt it their place to "call out" people who blog as not being worthy. Why they felt that it was really a problem. I don't think anyone forces them to go out and read them? It just amazes me that people see it necessary to put down others at all.

I did not say anything while I was there. However, at one point my girlfriend mentioned something about my blog, and the look on some of the girls faces was priceless. The one girl ran out of the room laughing (I'm not positive that is why, but I think she had some egg on her face). I am just hoping that they got a glimpse of the judgement and immaturity they were showing.

So if you think blogging is stupid, why have you read this far?

God is Good

3 comments:

Betsy said...

I totally agree with you- I am doing my blog because I don't have time to scrapbook and it is a great way to keep memories- plus it is great for our family to know what is going on since we are so far away. This past year I put my blog into a book using blurb.com and I plan on doing that every way because it was so easy and that will be my 'scrapbook.' I love keeping up with your family- your kids are precious.

Life with la familia said...

Wow, Carol. I don't think I had any idea how people were blog and Facebook haters. We started our blog since we have so many family members who live far away...like, hmmm, MY parents! They love checking in and seeing how the kids are growing and what they are doing throughout the week. It seems a little pathetic that people have the time to fixate on blog hating but that just me:)!

Lori said...

oh my stars that's actually kinda funny :-)